MCL will soon be able to offer a comprehensive array of instruments for characterizing materials across a broad range of strengths and in a variety of environments. With new equipment, you will be able to measure a variety of mechancial properties including yield stress, ultimate strength, hardness, moduli (Young's, shear, storage, loss), Poisson't ratio, etc.. The mechanical equipment at MCL encompasses a variety of techniues, to accomodate the variety of materials that come through MCL every day.
MCL has multiple instruments for characterizing the mechanical behavior of different materials.
- TA Instruments Q800 dynamic mechanical analyzer (N-007 MSC) TA Instruments Q800 brochure
- Qness Q60 A+ microindenter (N-001 MSC) Qness website
- Netzsch 402 F1/F3 Hyperion thermomechanical analyzer (arriving soon - N-007 MSC) Netzsch website
- Correlated Solutions VIC-3D Digital Image Correlation (DIC) system (arriving soon - N-001 MSC) Correlated Solutions website
- MTS load frames, load cells, grips, fluid bath, high temperature furnace, moderate temperature chamber (arriving soon - N-001 MSC)
- more details coming soon!
Sample requirements : Requirements are technique-specific. Please review the specific technique pages or contact a technical staff member to discuss your needs.
For sample preparation, MCL also has wire electron-discharge machining (wire-EDM) capabilities.
Please contact MCL staff member Beth Last (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions concerning mechanical characterization or wire EDM.