Sebastiaan Van Nuffel
Sebastiaan joined the MCL in 2019 as a postdoctoral scholar. Throughout the years, he has built up an extensive expertise in imaging mass spectrometry, specifically ToF-SIMS, and many complementary surface science techniques. He has performed both applied and fundamental research and worked with a wide variety of samples ranging from plastics to biological applications and even cultural heritage. His current research interests revolve around biological ToF-SIMS research and hyperspectral image data analysis using advanced multivariate analysis tools.
- Data acquisition and processing using ToF-SIMS, MALDI, XPS, electron microscopy, FTIR spectroscopy, AFM, interferometry and spectroscopic ellipsometry
- Chemometrics (incl. multivariate analysis) for advanced data analysis
- MATLAB programming
- Primary cell culture, tissue processing and sectioning, and optical microscopy
- Cleanroom processing and photolithography
- Van Nuffel, S., Elie, N., Yang, E., Nouet, J., Touboul, D., Chaurand, P. & Brunelle, A. (2018). Insights into the MALDI Process after Matrix Deposition by Sublimation using 3D ToF-SIMS Imaging. Analytical Chemistry, 90(3), 1907-1914.
- Van Nuffel, S., Parmenter, C., Scurr, D. J., Russell, N. A., & Zelzer, M. (2016). Multivariate analysis of 3D ToF-SIMS images: method validation and application to cultured neuronal networks. Analyst, 141(1), 90-95.
- PhD, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, 2016
Thesis: Three-dimensional time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry imaging of primary neuronal cell cultures.
- MSc in Chemistry, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2013
- BSc in Chemistry, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2011
N-017 Millennium Science Complex
University Park, PA 16802