About the Materials Research Institute (MRI)
Penn State's MRI is a catalyst for multidisciplinary education and innovations in materials.
Of particular significance is the recent creation of a direct interface with the life sciences in our newest interdisciplinary building, the Millennium Science Complex. With our capabilities in electronic materials and devices, functional polymers and nanoscience, Penn State is uniquely positioned to apply our materials research to critical challenges of the future in healthcare.
It is our vision to apply both the depth and breadth of our collective expertise to engage in research without boundaries, and thereby to create a new generation of highly qualified graduates who can both communicate and innovate in a converging technological world.
- 5 Colleges
- 15 Departments
- 320+ Faculty
- 150 Researchers
- 60+ Visiting scientists and research associates
- 1000+ Graduate students and post-docs
Funding Sources Include
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Department of Defense (DoD)
- State Industry Foundations Homeland Security